Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I know I can do this

I came to a realization today.

3 years ago I ran 13.1 miles in the Disney Half Marathon. I'm not a runner. I wasn't much thinner than I am now. All I had going for me was determination. There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to apply this same determination to dieting. No, strike that....making a lifestyle change.

Problem is, the marathon had an end. I knew that once I hit that day in January, and I had finished my 13.1 miles, I didn't have to run ever again if I didn't want to.

Changing the way you eat, though, is a LIFETIME thing.

Why is this so hard?

I must say, for some reason the girl scout cookies don't have the allure that they usually do. They are still in the house. Even the thin mints. I have a few, but then I'm done with them.

I like my jelly beans. I like my occasional chicken fried steak smothered in gravy with mashed potatoes. I like my bagel in the morning smothered in cream cheese. I like my pasta (not to mention it is an easy thing to fix for a family). Moderation doesn't seem to be a term that applies to these items in my book. Not sure why.

Positive changes I have made? There are a couple.

For my afternoon chocolate/sweets craving, I bought a bag of Snickers bite size. Even if I have 2 it isn't the same as an entire candy bar.

Still trying to limit sodas. Working on it.

Last night's dinner wasn't bad, except for the big ole' crusty rolls.

There has to be a way to do this. I know I CAN do it. It is a matter of not wanting to, and that is just bad.

1 comment:

Margie @ Smiles Forever Photo said...

YES you can do it... WE can .. and WILL!!! Just take stepss.. one at a time... How many days does it take to form a HABIT?? Lets do it Day by Day... Hugs, M